Use this link to apply for spring or summer 2021 internships with Advancing Justice-LA!
Questions after reviewing the below descriptions? Please contact Individual Giving Associate Michi Lew. Please note that Advancing Justice-LA receives many internship applications and you will only be contacted if selected for an interview. No phone calls please.
Health Access Program Intern
Asian Americans Advancing Justice–LA’s Health Access Program (HAP) anchors the Health Justice Network (HJN), a statewide network of close to 60 Asian Americans, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islanders (AANHPI) and other communities of color organizations working on health care issues, including health care reform and access to health care services.
Qualifications Requested: Strong organization skills with strong attention to detail and task-oriented, excellent oral and writing communication skills, have prior work experience, a strong work ethic, and have demonstrated commitment to public interest work, civil rights and community empowerment. Access to reliable means of transportation is a must. Minimum one (1) year of experience of working on community health, social and human services or related public services, preferred. Current undergraduate and graduate students welcome to apply.
Duties May Include:
- Community outreach, education, and engagement strategies and approach implementation;
- Policy and advocacy activities (story collection, messaging strategies, outreach and training toolkits, campaign/events, workshops, presentations, etc.);
- PSA/communications and public relations;
- In-language support helplines – community outreach and access navigation
- Other priority objectives/focuses related to health access navigation, health equity, COVID vaccine outreach, and community health improvement related project(s)
- Otherwise supporting HAP Program Manager, and working closely with other HAP staff
- Some administrative duties may be required.
Language Requirements: Bilingual ability in English and Mandarin, Vietnamese, Khmer, Tagalog, or Spanish are highly preferred. Bilingual ability in English, any other Asian language and Pacific Islander language also preferred.
Schedule Requirements: For Spring 2021, seeking interns for a minimum commitment of 15 hours/week for 10 weeks. For Summer 2021, seeking a commitment of 40 hours/week for 10 weeks. Candidates seeking externship or other academic credit welcome to apply.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice - LA (Advancing Justice-LA) is the nation’s largest Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander (AANHPI) legal and civil rights organization and serves more than 15,000 individuals and organizations every year. Founded in 1983, Advancing Justice-LA’s mission is to advocate for civil rights, provide legal services and education, and build coalitions to positively influence and impact Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders and to create a more equitable and harmonious society. Advancing Justice-LA seeks to serve the most vulnerable members of the AANHPI communities while also building a strong AANHPI voice for civil rights and social justice. Advancing Justice-LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.